Inventory of Post-WW2 Houses and Shops in Cagayan de Oro City

The historic Cagayan de Oro City Hall will be built on top of garbage. Five years ago SANGGA KAGAY-ANON, together with Heritage Conservation Advocates (HCA), filed a lawsuit (Case no.2005-041) against the City Government for the nullification of Ordinance no.9508-2005 or the transfer of the historic city hall to the landfill. The contested Cagayan de Oro City Hall was the site of Casa Real, the seat of the three colonial governments which was demolished between 1910 and 1930 to give way for a new town hall. The new town hall was given equal significance by President Manuel L. Quezon when he attended its reopening. The swift act of the civil society stopped the planned transfer to Upper Dugong, Carmen.
The City Hall was not the first. In the not so resent past, the historic cemetery of Philippine Independent Church (PIC) located along Hayes Street (beside Xavier University) became the relocation site of the Hall of Justice and City Health Offices without much opposition. In fact the whole area is the new site for all other government offices in the city. Adjacent to this cemetery are the four parks along Tirso Neri and R. N. Abejuela Streets which, after undergoing upgrading in 2004, was re-named as Golden Friendship Park. On weekends it become a swap meet with singing bands to attract customers and also for the customers to stay longer in the parks (EO no. 85-2003).
Very recently, the outgoing City Mayor has started to transform the river bank into a bicycle lane and waste water processing area dubbed as "Golden Mile" project. Currently, it has reclaimed one of the islands along Cagayan de Oro river bank which will soon change the geographical feature of the river. Already, the project has replaced the only open amphitheatre with a footbridge leading to the high-rise privately financed building which will soon dot the river bank. All of these flagship projects are focused on the old city core which justifies the continuing upgrading of Cagayan de Oro City.
Armed with the new Conservation Law of 2009 (RA 10066), this inventory is an initial attempt to document the remaining post-world war two (post-WW2) houses and shops in the old city core before they disappear. The extant post-WW2 houses and shops in the old city core present the character of Cagayan de Oro when it roused from rubble after the war which is worth documenting.

 

Mr. Noel Alegre
Research Associate of Capitol University Research and Extension Office
Institute of Development Studies (CUREXO-IDS),
Cagayan de Oro City, Philippines
noelalegre@yahoo.com


AttachmentSize
Alegre_State of Post WW2 Houses and Shops.pdf1.78 MB